So this is post #1 of my new project, which is going to entail me printing as many of the 5th Edition Monster Manual creatures, thanks to the amazing sculpting work of mz4250 (if you have a 3D printer and play D&D, by all means check out his Patreon linked).
I am starting with avian/ humanoid creature that is known as the Aarakocra. This was a fun afternoon project that aside from printing (approximately 5-6 hours on my Elegoo Mars Pro), today I spent about 4-5 hours giving this guy a paint job.
I use mostly Citadel and Army Painter paints, so all very easy to use and full water clean-up and if you do any mini painting, you probably already know how well they go on…a couple of coats on the base colour and then the rest just built up nice and easy! I will note that I do use a Privateer Press Wet Palette and love this as a palette, given you can close it up and come back hours later to still-wet paint blobs! One more comment on the paints to note is I find the Citadel paints do better thinned a bit (naturally with the wet palette) and in comparison the Army Painter line seems to be thinned out of the bottle so I’m careful how “wet” a spot on the sheet I dab the Army Painter colours.
As this is my first full mini paint job in probably a couple of years, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I have a long way to go, of course, especially in the eye department – I really need to research some better painters on YouTube or in some of the online communities on some eye techniques.
I’d love to hear your comments and thoughts on this project (be gentle) and meet some other D&D miniature-painters/ 3D printers out there!
Thanks for stopping by!